ACT 1947 -
TEXT OF INDIA'S
EXCERPTS OF THE
SPEECH BY SHEIKH
AUGUST 13, 1948
2 JULY 1972
FEBRUARY 21, 1999
JAMMU & KASHMIR
NOTE ON JAMMU &
COMMUNAL HARMONY IN ASIA (ACHA)
ARCHIVE OF KASHMIR RESOURCES
|RESOLUTION ON ASSURANCES ADOPTED BY U.N. COMMISSION FOR
INDIA AND PAKISTAN(UNCIP) 1948
1. Responsibility for the security of J&K rests with Government
2. The sovereignty of the J&K Government over the entire territory
of the State shall not be brought under question.
3. There shall be no recognition of the so-called Azad (Free) Kashmir
4. The territory occupied by Pakistan shall not be consolidated to
the disadvantage of the State of J&K.
5. The administration of the evacuated areas in the North shall revert
to the Government of J&K and its defence to the Government of India,
who will, if necessary, maintain garrison for preventing the incursion
oftribesmen and for guarding main trade routes.
6. Pakistan shall be excluded from all affairs of J&K in particular
in the plebiscite, of one should be held.
7. If a plebiscite is found to be impossible for technical or practical
reasons, the Commission will consider other methods of determining fair
and equitable conditions for ensuring a free expression of people’s will.
8. Plebescite proposal shall not be binding upon India if Pakistan
does not implement Part I and II of the resolution of 13th August, 1948.
(The resolution had called upon Pakistan to withdraw troops from occupied
Source: United Nations